How to Make Cheesy Potatoes
Potatoes are one of the most versatile foods: they can be prepared with anything and just about any way. They can be boiled, fried, cooked over a campfire, and, of course, baked in the oven. We have selected two unusual recipes for baked cheesy potatoes.
Cheesy potatoes are perfect for a party with a buffet table, whereas potato pie is a good option for a family dinner. The advantage of these dishes is that they cook fairly quickly, and you do not have to spend hours at the stove.
Potatoes in Cheese
- 3 potatoes;
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil;
- 1 tsp paprika;
- 1 tsp salt;
- 2 ⅔ oz (75 g) butter;
- 2 ⅓ oz (65 g) flour;
- 13 ½ fl oz (400 ml) milk;
- 4 ⅓ oz (125 g) sour cream;
- 1 tbsp tomato paste;
- 2 jalapenos;
- 10 ½ oz (300 g) grated hard cheese.
- Wash potatoes thoroughly, cut them into slices and boil them in a peel.
- Distribute the potatoes on a baking sheet, sprinkle them with oil, paprika, and salt, and stir them. Bake for 30 minutes at 430 °F.
- Melt butter in a pan and add flour. Stir, then add milk and whisk. Add sour cream and mix again.
- When the mixture thickens, add tomato paste and mix. Grind jalapenos and add half to the sauce.
- Add half the grated cheese to the mixture, mix, and remove from heat.
- Distribute half of the remaining cheese on the bottom of a mold. Lay the potato wedges vertically in a circle and cover the potatoes with the prepared sauce. Sprinkle the rest of the cheese and jalapenos on top.
- Bake for 30 minutes at 430 °F.
Layered Potato Pie
- 7 potatoes;
- 2 tbsp olive oil;
- 2 eggs;
- 6 ¾ fl oz (200 ml) whipped cream;
- 3 ⅓ fl oz (100 ml) milk;
- 1 tsp nutmeg;
- 26 slices of ham;
- 14 oz (400 g) grated hard cheese;
- salt, pepper to taste;
- parsley to taste.
- Peel potatoes and cut them into thin rings. Place the rings on a baking sheet in three rows and sprinkle them with oil. Season with salt and pepper. Bake for 10 minutes at 360 °F.
- Combine eggs, milk, and sour cream; add nutmeg, salt and pepper, and whisk.
- Grease a round detachable mold with butter. Assemble the dish in layers: first potatoes (use them to make the edges of the pie), then ham and grated cheese. Repeat the layers once and top the pie with the egg mixture. End the last layer with potatoes.
- Bake the pie for 40 minutes at 360 °F.
- Grind the parsley and use it to garnish the pie.
Serve potatoes directly from the oven while the cheese remains viscous and melts in your mouth. Enjoy your meal!