Where To Put the Microwave in a Small Kitchen
In a small kitchen, every square foot is valuable, and every little spot plays a crucial role. Ergonomics and proper organization of space are critical. Everything should be in an easily accessible place. Today, Cook It will discuss where to put the microwave in a small kitchen.
If you are going to purchase a microwave, first and foremost, you will need to familiarize yourself with the installation rules and find the perfect spot for it.
- The microwave should stand 2–5 feet from the floor — this is the best height for comfortable use. If you place it too low, there is a risk of getting burned, if too high — spilling hot contents on yourself.
- To ensure adequate ventilation, leave at least 4 inches of space between the back and side walls of the microwave and any adjacent objects. The body of the machine must not touch other kitchen appliances.
- Avoid placing the microwave near damp and too hot spots: stove, radiator, fireplace, sink, etc. Alternatively, ensure it has high-quality thermal insulation. © DepositPhotos
- It is best to place the microwave at arm’s length from a countertop so that you can transfer the hot dishes comfortably.
- The ventilation holes of the microwave must be uncovered; do not place dishes or utensils on top of the appliance.
To ensure safe operation, we recommend considering these rules when deciding on where to put the microwave in your small kitchen.
Where To Put a Microwave in a Small Kitchen
1. On a Countertop
The countertop is the main workspace in the kitchen. It is durable and sturdy, and it allows you to place the microwave within arm’s reach. If you’re short on space, consider putting the microwave in the corner of the countertop, away from the sink and heating appliances.© DepositPhotos
2. On a Windowsill
If your kitchen has an empty, wide windowsill, it will make the perfect spot for the microwave, though only if you do not live in a terribly cold climate. Otherwise, the glass unit of the microwave window may crack due to the temperature difference. It is also advisable to remove flowerpots from the windowsill so as not to expose them to radiation.
3. On Top of a Refrigerator
This option will work if your fridge is not very tall. Make sure that there is at least 8 in of space between the ceiling and the appliance for ventilation.
Keep in mind that strong vibrations can make the microwave slide off the surface if it does not have rubber feet. The same problem can arise if you place the appliance on top of the washing machine.
4. On a Wall Shelf or Bracket
You can install a wall shelf or bracket for your microwave — this is the most space-efficient solution.© DepositPhotos
5. Above a Stove or Kitchen Hood
Although it is not the best option in terms of security, since the microwave will heat up from nearby appliances, it is an excellent space-saving option.
6. Inside a Wall Cabinet
Placing the microwave inside a kitchen cabinet is a great way to hide it and keep the space uncluttered.© DepositPhotos
Where else can you put a microwave in a small kitchen? You can build the microwave into a custom cabinet or place it in the lower tier of furniture. In this case, you will have to contact specialists, furniture makers, interior designers. Where have you placed your microwave?